Thursday, January 26, 2006

Here's a Quarter - Call Someone Who Cares! But Wait till it stops raining!

“We never stop working for you” is the motto that drapes across the outside of their envelopes, every piece of advertising and ironically enough - even the bill Verizon graciously sends me every month. And In the case of my service they are forced to stand behind their motto. Of course I believe the true intention was to give the illusion of good customer service etiquette without having to do much work.

I’m sure its frustrating for every other American as well, when phone companies go bad, so I don’t feel that I am an isolated case, but when exactly is the phone company forced to provide a service to a customer that is forced to subscribe to their service due to lack of choice in suburbia? Phone companies have the privilege to monopolize their territories! Along side their motto “We never stop working for you” In all seriousness, in the area where I live - If you live here….you have X phone company.

Without further ranting over the lack of choice, I will address my ongoing dilemma and promise to omit exaggeration.

For more than 10 years, I have lived in the same home. The last four to five years, every time the sky darkens and a sprinkle moves in our tiny neighborhood of about 5 lose phone service.

The failing service begins with an overpowering static that may allow you to hear every third word a person says, thus rendering the phone unusable. Typically this lasts an entire day prior to dial tone disappearing somewhere into fiber-optic hell. When I first contacted them after loosing full service years ago, a tech arrived - assessed the situation and cut one of my lines from my bedroom. Apparently this particular phone service doesn’t like to hang out in my bedroom and began some sort of protest as the result – so the tech CUT MY LINE! Upon my return home I was greeted at the door with a nice little note explaining how the bedroom phone was the problem and was cut as a result – however, if I would like to have a new line ran it would result in a small fee of $75.00 per hour and a trip charge.

I immediately pounced on the phone, not the one in the bedroom of course and called customer service – I believe it was a nice rep from somewhere in India – and reported that “I have paid additional for in-side wire service and believed this type of problem would be covered.” That’s when I found out that the line was apparently sub-standard (out of date) it would not be covered. I told the rep she should see the rest of my bedroom! Let’s talk about out of date! However, rather than the phone company continually letting me pay for a service that would result not covering this type of damage, I felt I was being robbed.

Hasn’t it been reported that technology only advances every six months theses days? What a racket. After calculating $2.95 month for a useless service for an entire 5 years – totaling a whopping $177.00, I was furious – that IS after all ONE Hundred and Seventy SEVEN Wendy’s Junior Bacon Cheesburgers! Not to mention it would have more than covered the work I pointed out to them. Nevertheless I was advised I should take my complaint to a supervisor…so I waited through FOUR versions of the tune “I Believe I Can Fly” before I was able to politely explain my situation only to be told the same thing – What do they do read from Q CARDS? Insert SCREAM Here!

So now I have no phone line in the bedroom and I was able to come to terms and accept just living with that. UNTIL…The next time it rained!!! This time - The Den! That meant my internet line, Oh, Bother! After careful ranting to customer service – note: I had learned from previous conversations what to say – the problem was solved according to their report. It happened again and again until I had only one line is left in my entire house and was informed that it too was sub-standard and would have to be replaced at my expense. Finally I bit – the line was replaced just last year!

Being the kind of woman I am though, I just couldn’t let it go! I know, that’s every woman, right? I followed up the service with a letter to this particular phone company and made a nice little visit to my neighbors to see if they had problems during the rainy days. At that point I discovered that we had all suffered similar outages and they too had been loosing their extra lines.

One by one the phone lines in our neighborhood dwindled to just one per household.

One of my neighbors had taken measures further than my own due to their knowing someone with connections that would allow them to lodge formal internal complaint.

The situation in our area was that the ground lines were so old, unstable and unable to support all of the lines that were being run and the tech had been eliminating in order to get by and ultimately make his job a little easier – less lines means less calls. I Get It!

It was also found that this particular company was sanctioned to install all new ground wires in that area and had not followed through. You can only imagine how livid my neighbors and I were. We were able to communicate with one another and force the new installation in the summer of 2005. Although none of us got our previous lines back without paying, we thought at least now we would be able to make phone calls on rainy days from our one phone. Following these numerous disputes I had pondered dropping the inside wire insurance. Of course I was kindly informed that if I did and a service technician would have to come to my house I would be charged. At the present time – I by my calculations, I have paid over $400 into this insurance.
That $400 must insure that every time it rains, my phone service goes out because I still loose the use of my phone. I continue calling the automated service from my cell phone – resulting in peak time charges and once service is restored, I file on-line complaints stressing to them that “Every time it rains I loose my phone.” I am never able to speak to a live person – I believe it’s bedtime in India, so I request response in the form of someone contacting me and leave all three of my numbers and my email address. To date, no one has responded by phone or email. Of course I do receive the computer generated response letting me know just how important my calls are and am reminded that: “We at Verizon are committed to never stop working for you.”

Like most working moms I truly lack the energy or the time to battle this company further. I suppose you can say they’ve won! Perhaps that was their intention from the beginning, you think?

I look for Verizon's motto to change one day to “We never stop working for you to give-up and shut-up.”

This post has been entered in a contest at
EverydayHogwash

10 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Blogger Deanna said...

Congrats on winning! It's such a thrill, isn't it? I have had various "issues" with Verizon over the years, but nothing like this. Very funny, and congratulations again!

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger Luanne said...

OH Kim........you poor thing.... I feel your pain girl :-)

[quote] I believe it was a nice rep from somewhere in India...[end quote]

and if you call US Airways, they send ya to Mexico. Even Circuit City sent me to India too. Bless their pointed heads, they were as nice as could be, but dumber than a box a rocks!! That's one of my pet peeves too.

BTW, give Gayla a hug from me when you see her. I assume you're friends with her. She's my bud too :-)

Luanne

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Luanne, welcome to the blogging world and thank you for commenting. Gayla inspired me to get started and I will be sure to hug her neck for ya...I am so with you with the automated and foreign "customer service". I find myself always punchng "0" in hopes to get to someone live, but mostly it just says "you have pressed an incorrect response...and starts the list all over again. GRRRR. How is this better for us?

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger ~*~*~*~*~ said...

Awww two of my favorite people chit chatting :)

Luanne - Kim is my cousin :) and lives just about 10 minutes away from me :)

Kim - Luanne is my bud that shares my birthday that I've told you about. She's been to Indy a few times - I guess she is one of those I didn't get to introduce you to :)

I can't wait till Wednesday when your entry goes up for voting :)

Hugs
G

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger vanilla said...

In my humble opinion customer service DOES NOT EXIST ANYMORE from your small local grocery store to the big chains of anything. Makes me sick to hear my company and/or other jobs I interview for stress customer service. I hate it all and will eventually go off on someone one day, especially when I hotel I complained too later through the internet asked why there was no complaint the day of the incident. Hmm, cause I would have yelled at someone that I was kept out of my room cause the damn cleaning person couldn't get off the ass and clean my room in the two to three hours I was back on the hotel premise and they knew I was there. Damn boyfriend for keeping me under wraps.

Angie

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger ~*~*~*~*~ said...

O Kewl - two of my favorite peeps made it over here!

Kim, Angela (the one above) is a bud from Kentucky (she's not the Omaha Angela) - I know, too many to keep track of, but the good thing is they have pictures on their comments :)

I've got the warm fuzzies now :)

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Hey Angela, my blood boils too. I would probalby choose to do it later as well. I could be the reason they have to have security guards! LOL Thanks for sharing.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Luanne said...

:-) Warms my heart too Gayla....Nice to meet ya Kim. Hey Angie down there in Kentucky (They call my state, Pennsyltucky ;-) So we be sista's too lol...

I haven't mentioned this to Gayla yet that I have stopped selling Mary Kay and I've put together a blog about it, it's just not "out" there yet because I'm sending my stuff back. Just make sure she doesn't get talked into getting a bunch of inventory. There is a group which I've connected with (another support group, go figure ;-) lol and they have really opened my eyes and validated what I already felt icky about in regard to getting too deep into the pink bubble. Please be sure to look over http://www.thepinkingshears.org and read some of the I stories. I regret getting inventory in advance. There are so many bad things about Mary Kay if she gets involved with the wrong type of recruitor/director. The whole idea is to recruit, recruit, recruit, which is all well and good, but if your area is saturated with other MK consultants, well.....Please, please please, as a friend of a friend, have her be super careful. I'd hate to see her go in debt over this stupid business. I like the products too, but I think blogging is a much better idea as far as a way to make a little extra cash.

*hugs* and BTW, I voted for your blog ;-)

Luanne

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Luanne, Thanks for the advice. Almost anything out there these days is push push push. I have been in Home interiors, vitamins, etc. They are all out for their bottom line without regard to yours! I already talked to her about the inventory thing. The whole idea for her was to get her hands into a little bit of everything and as young as she is, hopefully the residual income would kick in later. She already has two people interested in going in under her. They are graduating from beauty school. Is it true that you "only" have to submit one order a year? My mom and I use Mary Kay, so we were like why not let her benefit from it instead of someone else? BTW it is her grandma's sister that is recruiting her.

Thanks for the vote! Blog on!

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Luanne said...

yes, you ONLY have to order once per year in order to get the 50pct discount, before they terminate you. The key is to order 200.00 minimum wholesale and then the 50pct kicks in. As you order on intouch she will be able to see the numbers change as she adds product. Of course, it really doesn't take long to order 400.00 retail worth of that stuff :-) I like it too, I just feel as though I was conned. Mind you, they'll say "OH, no one put a gun to her head!!" I'm like, whatever. I expected my "mentor" to direct me into a situation which would not financially crunch me, ya know. Oh well, live and learn and onward and upward. I'll be OK. I wish I would have done what I intended to do before I got convinced into buying so much inventory. I called MK yesterday and they have received my repurchase, so now I'm just waiting on the refund check. There are LOTS of hobby consultants and if she really wants to jump into "the pink" she should go to weekly meetings which are IMO and in most cases, ALL ABOUT recruiting. Just make sure she goes in with her eyes wide open and she'll do fine. There are a few yahoo groups which she can join which are "pale pink", where she can get the truth to understand about the whole thing. I'm sure her grandma though is telling her the real deal about it. OH, I could ramble on and on lol. Hey.....how did the contest go? Win?

Have a great weekend.

Luanne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home